<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Good times.

Wednesday, March 03, 2004

Took a few runs today with Rodney Harrison. Late spring conditions. Sunny and high 30's. Visible snow loss from yesterday. Rain predicted for Friday and neither of us are happy about it.

In the lift lines people ask for autographs but he just waves his broken arm at them and says, Sorry. I ask about missing the parties and parade after the Super Bowl. He smiles and stares at the ground. "You know, for the first week I just wanted my arm off my body. When the pain subsided I was happy for the win and really glad I didn't get injured until the 4th quarter. But mostly, I was happy to be out of pain. Missing a parade and a few beers with the boys didn't seem such a sacrifice."

I nod. Graduation from high school was a huge ceremony followed by a week of parties. Graduating from college was quieter. Because of the first surgery and Paris I graduated in December and got my diploma in the mail. It was a huge relief. For weeks in the middle of conversations, walks or drives I would remember I never had to take another test, never had to write another paper. I didn't regret missing the ceremony or the parties because of the freedom.

Rodney Harrison smiles. "You know exactly what it's like to miss the Super Bowl parade. You couldn't care less. You're just relieved you didn't lose."

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?