<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Good times.

Tuesday, October 26, 2004

I've included the First Lady's remarks because President Bush has been quiet on the subject. Her full speech is linked here: http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/10/20041021-17.html

Two quick thoughts:

1. The President may be the first to provide federal funding only because he's the first president to have the opportunity. Mrs. Bush implies that previous presidents have ignored something which actually did not exist during their terms. Disingenuous. By her logic we should also applaud President Bush for being the first president to fund the second war in Iraq.

2. "But we know that the promise of research lies in the advancement of scientific knowledge and in a greater understanding of how stem cells can be used to treat illnesses. The President's policy makes it possible for researchers to explore the potential of stem cells while respecting the ethical and the moral implications associated with this research." The first sentence is a throw away line, meaning nothing. Is she getting paid by the word? The second sentence leads me to believe that the administration is forcing individual religious beliefs on science and the country.

I'm particulary harsh on the first sentence because I think she's guilty of distracting. I'm upset with the second sentence because she assumes we share an understanding of the ethics. I assume we do not. It's important for the administration to be absolutely clear on their motivations here. I fully respect disagreement with this research but I want a discussion. The administration needs to push this out in the open. Secrecy and silence makes me think there is a cabal in control. Prove me wrong.

My growing understanding is that the administration is not doing nearly enough, then bragging about the very little that it is doing. All the while religion creeps in on the state and the hospital.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?