<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Good times.

Thursday, October 21, 2004

Stem cell research 

I'm not asking you to change your vote in the presidential election along this issue. I am asking you to call and write the eventual winner and your senators and ask them to keep science moving at full pace.

I also don't yet have a clear idea of their positions.

I have listened to Bush explain he "supports faith-based initiatives" (his wording) and doesn't want to get patients' hopes up.

To respond in reverse order, I'll take care of my hopes, thank you very much. I can handle dashed expectations. Shouldn't be a reason for slowing research. Also, I greatly prefer "research-based initiatives" when it comes to finding cures. I'm faith-based when I go to church or read Matthew. I like to be "science-based," "research-based," and "medically-based" when going through treatments and making decisions about what's the best course.

A simple plug for the separation of church and state and the separation of church and hospital.

Again, I'll get back on my soap box once I've studied this more. Thanks for reading. Next scan a few days after the election.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?